Friday, November 20, 2009

aia seattle 2009 honor awards


The American Institute of Architects (AIA) Seattle Honor awards ceremony was last week and even though I did not go this year, I did spend some time looking at the winners and some of the entrants on the AIA Seattle website. It's a great way to see what other local architects are up to and be inspired by amazing spaces. I was glad to see the Wing Luke Asian Museum win a top Honor. When my parents were here from Virginia this summer, we toured the museum and then went and had tea at the Panama Hotel. My mom and I each had read On the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and it was a great to see and experience the history of these places in person. Click on any of the photos in this post and it will take you to the AIA website where there's more photos and information on each of the projects.

Other notables for me were Tyler Engle Architects Madrona Live/Work. The light from the skylight is just perfect.


Love how this cabinet opens and the TV swivels out. I'm all for hiding the TV when not in use. I still haven't figured out how best to hide it in the new place, but have thought about the swiveling out.
Here's a dramatic waterfront house with amazing detailing by one of my favorite architects and person friend Alec Duncan of arKINETIC:

Adams Mohler Ghillino Architects Wall House:

Vandeventer + Carlander Architects Madison Park House:

The following is actually a house we toured this year, but Coates Design Architects photos are MUCH better than the snapshots I was able to take.

Some day I'll convince my husband that my book collection is a beautiful design element and he will build me a wall or library like this where I can display them all.